All photographers must specialize.
Photographic specialties generally fall into three broad categories, based on subject matter: Places, Products, and People. Each one takes a slightly different approach and skill set, in addition to a mastery of the basics of lighting, lenses, and exposure control. No one photographer can be equally adept at all aspects of all categories, but our years of experience enable us to cover a broader range of services than most photographers.
- Real Estate and Architectural — Whether it’s selling your house with photos on MLS and Zillow; showcasing the finished work of architects, builders, decorators, and designers; before and after photos for remodelers; or simply recording construction progress or insurance claims; we can do it. We pay meticulous attention to details such as perspective control and color correction, and we have developed advanced techniques to deal with extreme lighting. See our Real Estate & Architectural Photography page for more information.
- Google Street View for Business — A virtual tour composed of 360-degree panoramas can showcase your business to prospective clients and customers on Google Search and Maps. The Google Street View car may not fit inside your business, but our cameras will. See our Google Street View page for more information.
- Panoramas and virtual tours — 360-degree panoramas and virtual tours aren’t confined to Google Street View projects alone. We can produce standalone tours for your website or presentation.
- Food and drink — Back when we had a big studio, we did work for big-name food and liquor companies. We no longer have a prep kitchen and food stylist on staff, but if you prepare it, we’ll photograph its appetizing goodness sitting on your table or counter. Uber selected us to photograph the food at restaurants around the Louisville area for their UberEATS program.
- Small Products — Individual products on a white or solid color background — like you see on Amazon. We can photograph most any product that will fit on a table, and we can do it in our studio or at your location. Dealing with jewelry, reflective surfaces, and other challenging subjects is our specialty.
- Furniture and similar-sized products — Same as small products, but on a larger scale. As products get larger, isolating each product on a background becomes a challenge, so we typically create the background in Photoshop.
- Advertising Illustration — Arrangements of multiple products or a product in a stylized setting, with the goal being to create a striking image with emotional impact rather than simply provide descriptive visual information about the product. For example, a tableware place setting shown on a beautifully decorated table instead of just a simple product photo of a plate or bowl. Advertising illustration usually incorporates dramatic lighting effects, and may be arranged to allow room for logos and text to be added to the finished image.
- Portraits — Headshots, couples, executives, brides, seniors. We mostly do “environmental portraiture”, which entails photographing subjects in their natural environment. That could be their home or office, or it could be in a park or other location. We can also bring a portable backdrop to create more of a “studio” effect.
- Weddings and Events — Yes, we can photograph your wedding. Our approach is a little different from photographers who specialize exclusively in weddings. See our Weddings page for more information.
- Other services
- Retouching and image manipulation — Oh yeah, we do that. We’re Photoshop experts! In fact, we teach advanced Photoshop techniques to other photographers and graphic artists.
- Photo printing — We don’t actually sell prints, but we’ll be glad to assist you in finding and communicating with a lab or commercial printer. We can custom tailor image files for a particular use in order to optimize the results.
If you have a photography need that isn’t listed above, just ask. But before you do, check out this list of things we don’t do:
- Travel to exotic locations — We seldom go much beyond a day’s drive from Louisville, KY. We might be persuaded to make an exception if you’re offering to fund a working vacation to someplace fun.
- Build room sets — Been there. Done that. It takes a huge studio and a carpentry crew. We’re small, and prefer to stay that way.
- Studio photos of large products like cars — We can shoot a car outside, but not in our small studio space.
- Sports action photos — Just not our thing.
- School/church/team/business groups — There are photographers who specialize in working with groups. We’re not one of them. That’s because creating a good customer experience for groups has more to do with logistics than it does the photography.
- News/Journalism/Public Relations photos — Again, not our thing. We lean more toward carefully planned and staged photos.
- ID/Passport photos — That’s easy. But you can get it done faster and cheaper elsewhere, so there’s no point in us doing it too.
- Photos of Kids/Pets/Family in our studio — We don’t have a “retail” studio location with family-friendly amenities. Our shooting area is small and starkly utilitarian. It works for photographing products. People, not so much.
- Costumes and Makeovers — We don’t provide a fantasy photo experience like some photo studios. You’re welcome to bring your own costumes, jewelry, and hair/makeup stylist to a photo session, but we don’t furnish that stuff except by special arrangement.